Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Supernaturally


Author: Kiersten White
Release: July 26th 2011
Genre: Supernatural, YA
#2 in the Paranormalcy trilogy
Series: Paranormalcy (#1), Endlessly (#3)

Plot:

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be...kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.

Review:

For the past minutes, I have been looking for a hundred reasons to give this more than just one star, but I honestly can't find one. I tried, I really did, and I wanted to like this, but... 

This book is very slow. Not as slow as Matched, mind you, but the pace was disastrous. Horrible. That's probably why I ran to The Iron Fey in the middle of reading this, finished all four books within maybe forty-two hours and stumbled back into this mess. I only skimmed probably half of this book and I still got pretty much everything that was going on and when I turned the last page, I was casting my eyes heavenward and let out a prayer that went along the lines of "Thank God I'm through with this". Paranormalcy gave me at least some entertainment, whereas this gave me nothing but misery.

So, plot wise, nothing is happening. Nothing that really comes together, there is no thread that goes along the whole book. There are a few things happening, but they don't relate to each other in any way at all. At least, if they did, I couldn't see it for the life of me.

Characters were dull and boring. I came to enjoy the new character of Jack for a few pages and he was probably one of the only things that weren't torture in this book. Evelyn is too girly and lost pretty much everything of her previous badassery, which I blame on her relationship with Lend. Because with Lend, she was way too smitten and crushing, it was unbearable. I swear, it was like one of those celebrity obsessions I had back when I was twelve. That being said, there is the immaturity again that defined the whole book, and again, I feel very hypocritical saying this but it's true, somehow. I'm despairing here because of that, trust me.

Anyways, Lend did not do jackshit in this installment, mostly due to the fact that he was away at college and the only times he showed up was to propel the romance forward, thus being way too sappy with Evelyn, or to introduce melodrama into this book. I liked Lend in Paranormalcy and had been Team Lend so to say, (although near the end of the first one he had already lost some of his appeal), but after this, I definitely am not anymore. Neither am I Team Reth or Team Jack, if those even exist, because seriously, pretty much everyone annoyed me. I said I was intrigued by Reth, but he didn't do much in this novel as well, and the devastating revelations he brought that are spoken of in the blurb didn't happen until, oh I don't know, the last sixty pages. I was waiting for them the whole book and hoped so badly they would finally spice things up, but no, I was not given that. So besides being the harbinger of doom, Reth wasn't interesting anymore as well. The only character that came close to being cool was Arianne. Loved her story.

What bugged me that's related to Reth is that Evelyn now blames him because of those revelations. Apparently she can't get it into her starstruck little mind that Reth was only the messenger. He didn't do anything. Seriously, get your shit together and stop pointing fingers at him for every bad thing that happens to you, Evelyn. Right now, I'm sympathizing so much more with Reth, because after all, he hasn't done anything to really harm her. Not even the things he did to her in the prequel were to hurt her. And I just despise Evelyn for saying she hates Reth when he has no blame, it's exactly what has already bothered me so much in Everneath where Nikki blames Cole for dragging her into the Underworld while it was her decision alone.

So, not only being more boring as my grandaunt who's suffering from dementia and isn't able to hold a conversation with you because she forgets everything you tell her after four seconds and doesn't even comprehend half of what you say, this book also made me cringe so many times. Hot, sexy flirty times between Lend and Evelyn that were supposed to be sweet (or naughty?) made me want to jump off a bridge, it was quotes like these that made me hate their relationship:

“Just because you've got a wimpy tongue doesn't mean I do,” I said.
He smiled slyly at me. “Wimpy tongue, huh? I'll have to show you what it can do later.”

Eww. And if you're wondering after this, "how can she say this book was immature?", there were other times (again, cringe-worthy) that were nearly as bad as sparkly vampires. Like punching a vampire and getting this reaction:

“Ow!” we screamed in unison as he clutched his nose and I shook my poor, poor hand. Why didn't anyone ever tell me punching faces hurts?
“You hit me!”
“You were trying to bite me!”
We glared at each other, his intensity somewhat diminished by the hand he still held to his nose. “So what now?” he asked, smooth voice muffled.

I'm sorry, but... what? What is this? This is reducing vampires to weakling creatures. Those aren't vamps. Vampires are supposed to be cold, bloodthirsty motherfuckers that are out to cut your throat, not wimps that cower around when they get punched by a girl. Seriously, this is ridiculous. Not only is White degrading vampires, but also my dearly beloved faeries, who are cold, bloodthirsty motherfuckers as well and reduced to being abnormally beautiful and nothing more. They're said to be troublemakers and all that, but they never really do cause trouble. Hell, nothing causes trouble in this book, 'cause even vampires run away screaming when punched.

Then there was the fact that this was completely forgettable. I took a short break, as I said, re-reading The Iron Fey which was a 42-hour-break, and when I came back to this, I was left with questions. Questions, like Wait, who is Nona again? Who's Jack? 

Ugh, I don't know. This was not good, but I still have some hope left for the last book, believe it or not. 
One more book. Only one more. You can do this, Alexa.

No comments:

Post a Comment