Thursday, June 25, 2015

Review: Crash by Eve Silver

Crash

Author: Eve Silver
Release: June 9th 2015
Genre: Science Fiction, Aliens, YA
#3 in The Game trilogy
Series: Rush (#1), Push (#2)


Plot:

A thrilling action/suspense novel for fans of The Fifth Wave about contemporary teens pulled in and out of an alternate reality where battling aliens is more than a game—it's life and death.

Miki’s life is falling apart around her. Her dad and best friend are lying in the hospital. The Game is glitching, making missions more frequent and more deadly. And someone close to her is waiting for the right moment to betray her. 

Miki feels like she’s hanging on by a thread and the only thing keeping her tethered is Jackson’s hand in hers. Yet telling him how much she needs him, how much she loves him, feels like the biggest challenge of all. And if Miki really wants the missions to end for everyone, she’ll have to let go and be ready to fight when the walls between the Game and reality come crashing down. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned, it’s that she’s got a whole lot left to lose.

Crash is the pulse-pounding conclusion to the Game trilogy fans won’t want to miss. 


Review:


It had its moments, both the good and the bad. Sometimes I thought Eve Silver had no fucking clue what she was talking about, but all in all, I thought it was a solid conclusion. 

To be honest, the finale was kind of a let down, because it wasn't quite the epic, huge-scale and tense touchdown that Silver meant to create (I think), and was over pretty quickly, too. Still, I liked how the rest of the novel was still interesting almost the whole time and how our main duo had to figure things out on their own, allowing the reader to come to conclusions as well and simply making me use my brain cells a little. A tiny bit, but hey, still.

On another note, I still dig the relationship between Miki and Jackson. At times, I felt like what they were doing, constantly hovering and laying on top of each other (not literally), it was unhealthy, because, as much as you love people, spending absolutely all of your time with them is no way to go about it. Space is key. But, given the circumstances, I can understand it and I feel Silver handled it well, since their relationship only continued to grow more and more mature. Miki and Jackson complement each other nicely.

Something that did really, really nag me, though, that annoyed me so much in fact I feel obligated to mention it right here is one scene where Miki is experiencing a wave of her depression, and it just gave me all the wrong vibes, because Silver really doesn't seem to understand much about depression in the first place. I mean, sure, it's different for everybody, but I think I can speak for everyone who has depression that it's not just something that you can turn off. It's not like you can choose not to feel the weight of your depression and be buried by it. There is no on/off switch. Also, depression isn't just this huge wave of pure sadness and grief. Depression is also apathy, the unwillingness to get out of bed each morning, dragging yourself through your day all the while being tired and listless and unenthusiastic about every single thing. I'm not sad, I'm just ... not entirely there. That is what depression is about. Among other things. But it is definitely not exclusive to simply sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment