Sunday, January 19, 2014

Review: Fractured by Teri Terry

Fractured

Author: Teri Terry
Release: April 4th 2013
Genre: Dystopia, Mystery, Thriller, YA
#2 in the Slated trilogy
Series: Slated (#1), Shattered (#3)

Plot:

How do you know where to go when you don't remember where you came from?

Kyla's memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

Or so she thought.

Kyla shouldn't be able to remember anything. But she can - and she's beginning to realise that there are a lot of dark secrets locked away in her memories. When a mysterious man from her past comes back into her life, she thinks she's on her way to finding the truth. But the more she learns about her history, the more confusing her future becomes...

Review:

Damn. This was even better than the first book, and I can't fathom how. Never ever would I have expected to love this series so much, but, surprisingly, I do. And this book ended on a very mean cliffhanger that makes me do anything to get my hands on the next one. It comes out on March 6th, so it's not that long to go, but still... Seriously. Damn.

Is Teri Terry really a debut author? I mean, I do see it every now and then, although it wasn't that obvious in this sequel than in the first installment, but... she can do it. She knows how it's done. 

We have so much character development and new characters in this book, I feel a little overwhelmed. And, again, just like in the first book, every single one surprised me and wasn't who I was led to believe they were. I'll start with Kyla, who was just so kickass and unbelievable, I think I'm in love with her now. She questions things, she turns things over in her mind, and she makes ALL of the right choices! I was so damn proud of her, it's so seldom that I approve so thoroughly of a character and her decisions, but with Kyla, I feel she's done everything right. And not in a Mary Sue way, she's also done a lot of mistakes, but her actions and everything she's done to get where she is now makes sense, it's real, and I love her for realizing all of her mistakes and righting them . For realizing what is wrong and taking initiative to turn it all around. I cannot tell you how much I love Kyla right now.

The second character that I loved most in Fractured would probably be Dr. Lysander. Yeah. She, too, was a very badass woman, being strong and standing up for what she believes in, also daring to care and to do what is right. I never would have believed she would turn out the way she did, and I love her so much for it. Then we have, like I said, a few new characters (more or less): Nico, Cam, Katran, Coulson, all of which were a pleasant surprise. With Nico, it was so very thrilling to never really know what he's all about, what his motives and intentions are, how he's connected to Kyla, etc, and I loved getting to know bit by bit. The revelation was so shocking, like a punch in the gut, and I absolutely enjoyed it. Here was, again, a masterfully done inclusion of grey morale, because Kyla isn't certain about whether to trust him or not, and her struggle was very heartfelt, because I, as the reader, didn't know what to make of him, either. Then we have Coulson, who played a bigger role in this novel, and I also appreciated his character arc. He was another unexplainable puzzle piece in the equation that made so much sense later, but at the time, was another confusion in the whole plan. 

And Cam and Katran. I feared, at first, that Cam was supposed to be the new love interest, creating a love triangle, but: He wasn't. Instant relief. Then, Katran came into the picture and my fear spiked anew. But, he too, wasn't really one, even though I'm still not sure what exactly he was to Kyla, now or in her past, however, I'm sure it wasn't entirely romantic and I can't thank Terry enough for not making this a love nonsense novel, creating a love triangle like the one in Delirium, and in fact, stepped away from any sort of romance in this sequel. There simply was none, and I am actually very happy with this — maybe it's because I'm fully in Ben's corner on this, and loved him with Kyla, but I also think it makes this series more serious, since it focuses on the actual plot instead of teen relationships.

But oh yeah, there were also some really good and nice surprises with Cam and Katran going on that I would have never seen coming. Just, generally, this series is so full of plot twists that are going to sweep you off your feet. Yes, some are really obvious, but others just fly right in and scream "HEY HI HELLO WHAT'S UP!" at you and then proceed to knock you out. It's amazing, really.

Ah, I just... I really love these books. Like I said, I never imagined it to be this good, but I am so very pleasantly surprised and I'm loving it so much. I cannot wait for Shattered to come out soon, I'm so looking forward to seeing how this will all end! And to have my Ben back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment