Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review: Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Everbound


Author: Brodi Ashton
Release: Janury 22nd 2013
Genre: Mythology, Supernatural, YA
#2 in the Everneath trilogy
Series: Everneath (#1), Evertrue (#3)


Plot:

Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.

Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.

Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.

Review:

Oh Jesus. Oh good Lord in Heaven.

Again, I'm torn between 3.5 and 4 stars. I'm giving it the latter, because despite my being a little mad at this book, I was not able to put it away, not once. I only ever did it if I absolutely had to, and even brought this with me to the toilet. (Okay, TMI)

The plot does a complete U-turn, in my opinion. Whereas in the first book, it was a lot of theory, researching and speculating and not that much action, a lot of things actually happened in this book. Action-y things, and I really appreciate a good adventure story. Especially because this had the fantasy element of a whole new world to it, since we finally get to travel the Everneath! It was awesome. However, I did have some issues with the trip. There are certain hindrances that Nikki and her gang have to cross on their way through the Everneath, and they were supposed to be really brutal and no one has ever gotten past them before and they are going to screw you up in the head and stuff like that, but none of that ever really happened. Yes, there were a few instances, but it never had the urgency or the hardship I would have expected to come from a place that no one has ever managed to cross. It took wind out of the sails, but I still enjoyed the trek.

Things are moving up in the character development department. Nikki infuriated me so much in the beginning, because she was being whiney about Jack. This double annoyed me, because I thought she was decent in the first book, but then something happens and she crumbles and freezes. Fortunately, she goes and takes actions after a little while, and even though I'm still not a fan of Jack and thus, her motivations, she was still decent again. She grew on me while they were traveling Hell and now, by the end of the novel, I actually like her. She's still not one of my favorite female leads, but I am definitely fond of her now. She grew to be stronger, more determined and wiser. Nikki was a very good character.

Cole is even more amazing. I have read Neverfall, Cole's novella (I actually paid 6.50 bucks for 98 pages because of my love for Cole), and I loved the insight into his thoughts and feelings. So, knowing him better, I was prepared for the actions he took during this novel. Still, he managed to surprise me over and over, especially at the end, and I loved that. If anything, he got even more complex than before, because there's this new layer of hurt and anguish that urges him to do ... things. And even though I'm not exactly happy with the revelation about his character, it kind of suits him. It's not out of character for him and it is so very understandable, plus I was able to feel his desperation and despair. Nikki couldn't realize what he was feeling even though fucking everyone told her and it broke my heart watching him struggle with Nik like that. MY POOR, MISUNDERSTOOD BOY.

Jack was still Jack. Nothing that pulled at my heart strings but he didn't get much screen time anyway, which I welcomed gladly, to be quite honest.

Well. I wanted this to be Cole's book, the one where he finally got his fair chance from Nikki and the opportunity to make his move, but it didn't meet my expectations fully on that point, and they really weren't high. I wanted Nikki to feel a little more for him, wanted their connection to spark a little more, but I'm satisfied with what Ashton gave me. That's okay, although of course I'm still a teeny tiny bit disappointed.

What happened at the end? That was brilliant, brilliant I tell you. I'm sure not everyone is excited about that, but even though, sure, it's not a good thing, it was just such an unbelievable plot twist that I sure as hell have not seen coming. And it opens up so many paths to where the story might be going next, so I am very much looking forward to finding that out. With that said: I can't wait for Evertrue.

No comments:

Post a Comment