Sunday, June 2, 2013

Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies


Author: Isaac Marion
Release: October 28th 2010
Genre: Post-Apocalypse, Zombies, Paranormal, YA
#1 in the Warm Bodies duology
Sequel: The Burning World (#2)

Plot:

'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

Review:

I really loved this book. At first, I actually thought it was for 12-year-olds (yeah, I really did - no idea why exactly) but it certainly is not, ahem. Yes, I admit it was really kinda morbid (what with the brain-sharing between M and R, really creeped me out), but also super awesome.

And the plot. It was creative. Actually, this was the first YA novel about zombies I have read, so maybe that's the reason I thought this was original. Still, it was something else for once. Of course not the romance part of itself, but the story as a whole: Zombies, Humans hiding away from these zombies and the human race almost being wiped out. And then there's R, who is so fucking loveable, even though he really is a zombie. I'm disliking so many characters because they act so zombie and stuff, but this one character who actually is a zombie and has an excuse for being brain-dead I love. Doesn't make much sense, right? Well, but that's how it is. Anyway, it was a little short, yes — only 240 pages of this awesomeness. But still - awesome is awesome, y'know?

And yeah, I already said I loved R. So, again: I loved R. He wasn't the zombie he was supposed to be, but a very interesting character with very interesting emotions. And even though he couldn't speak properly, alls his actions spoke more than thousand words, haha. And Julie was kickass. She wasn't dumb like other heroines or bitchy (though she was hot-tempered), but really likeable. She was creeped out by the zombies and R at first, so she wasn't pulling a Bella on us and went all "oooh R you make me hot" and stuff. That was a big pro. But she actually took the time to listen and observe and didn't sit back on her prejudices and the judgments of others - She ignored all these, got to know R better and came to like him. She was open-minded and that's what I really, really loved about her. She thought for herself, and she wasn't stupid so while thinking for herself, she made wise choices! That's a very rare occurence for YA heroines nowadays, I think.

All in all, I can only tell you to read this book — it's only 240 pages, so it's a quick read you certainly won't regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment