Sunday, June 2, 2013

Review: Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

Gone, Gone, Gone

Author: Hannah Moskowitz
Release: April 27th 2012
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, YA

Plot: 

In the wake of the post-9/11 sniper shootings, fragile love finds a stronghold in this intense, romantic novel from the author of Break and Invincible Summer.It's a year after 9/11. Sniper shootings throughout the D.C. area have everyone on edge and trying to make sense of these random acts of violence. Meanwhile, Craig and Lio are just trying to make sense of their lives.

Craig’s crushing on quiet, distant Lio, and preoccupied with what it meant when Lio kissed him...and if he’ll do it again...and if kissing Lio will help him finally get over his ex-boyfriend, Cody.

Lio feels most alive when he's with Craig. He forgets about his broken family, his dead brother, and the messed up world. But being with Craig means being vulnerable...and Lio will have to decide whether love is worth the risk.

This intense, romantic novel from the author of Break and Invincible Summer is a poignant look at what it is to feel needed, connected, and alive.

Review:

This book ... sigh. I don't even remember why I ever bought it in the first place, I just know that somehow, it ended up in my amazon order and lastly, on my desk. And so I began to read.

I didn't really know what I was getting into and so I had to stop and ask myself "Woah wait what?" numerous times throughout this.

I am sorry, this book was supposed to be meaningful and traumatic and deep, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe my young, naive mind just can't grasp all of this philosophy, but I just couldn't connect, neither to the characters, nor their relationship or the world building in general. Maybe it's because I never experienced that 9/11, uhm, I don't want to say "hype"... the 9/11 after-fear and paranoia, because back then I could barely form coherent sentences and I also don't live in America. So apparently I really, genuinely can't imagine what that has been like and so this story just wasn't for me.

So was Lio and Craig's relationship, don't get me wrong, I'm not homophobic in any way, I even find gay couples really endearing and cute and I support gay marriage 100%. But when I signed up for this, I didn't expect homosexuality so I was a little overwhelmed, I guess and didn't know how to handle this, which is also a reason I couldn't really connect. (Actually, this sounds really homophobic, because what is there getting "used to" about it? It's just like any other heterosexual couple, homosexuality. But believe me, that's not what I'm trying to say here, I ... I don't know. It was the first time I really read about a gay couple (apart from, say, Alec and Magnus' relationship in The Mortal Instruments), so it was just something new for me, I guess.)

It's been over half a year since I have read this book and I have to say I only remember the general gist of it, so it did not leave a big impression on me or something. Unfortunately.

Yes, it's definitely me, not you, book.

No comments:

Post a Comment