Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Review: Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

Goliath


Author: Scott Westerfeld
Release: September 20th 2011
Genre: Steampunk, YA
#3 in the Leviathan trilogy
Series: Leviathan (#1), Behemoth (#2)

Plot:

Alek and Deryn are abroad the Leviathan when the ship is ordered to pick up an unusual passenger. This brilliant/maniacal inventor claims to have a weapon called Goliath that can end the war. But whose side is he really on?

While on their top-secret mission, Alek finally discovers Deryn's deeply kept secret. Two, actually. Not only is Deryn a girl disguised as a guy...she has feelings for Alek.

The crown, true love with a commoner, and the destruction of a great city all hang on Alek's next--and final--move.

Review: 

I have to admit, I didn't have very high expectations, so maybe that's why I think this was a very satisfying finale to the trilogy, even though I did give it only three stars in the end.

The plot wasn't that interesting than it was in Behemoth or even Leviathan, and it was all pretty forgettable. Right now, I have trouble even remembering what happened at the beginning of it and I just read that two days ago, and have finished only a few minutes ago. 

I don't have that much to say, actually, but I'll say the book wasn't very strong plot-wise, but I liked that travel-around-the-world thing, because at the end of the book, they have traveled the whole globe at last. That was nice. The whole Tesla affair was dull and boring, excuse me, but I came to really enjoy the characters and they carried this whole book for me.

What I really really loved, though, was the romance. I was very annoyed by the fact that Deryn's secret still hadn't been spilled in Behemoth, but that obviously changes in Goliath, luckily. Because now, the romance is finally happening on both sides and I loved being able to follow Alek's change of heart about her. It wasn't insta-love, but a healthily evolving love and admiration for each other, besides, it was just so very sweet and even though Westerfeld used the well-known starcrossed lovers tragedy thing, their relationship didn't show any signs of melodrama and all that hypocrisy. I thank Westerfeld for this.

All in all, Goliath was a placating read, enjoyable and entertaining enough. I can recommend trying this trilogy out, it's definitely not one of my favorites, but it's by far not down there with the worst ones, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment